Need for Private Sector Engagement
OPS-WASH was successfully inaugurated by the Honourable Minister Engr. Suleiman H. Adamu on the 28th of October 2019. Minister Speech at the Chida Hotel, Abuja with the theme “Coordinating Indigenous Private Sector Initiatives to End Open Defecation in Nigeria”.
The Forum brought together a cross section of experts from the private sector, Government institutions, development partners, academic and research institutions, the media, Civil Society Organizations and philanthropists among others.
The convention of Private Sector to support Nigeria in ending open defecation in the Country had the following objectives:
- To mobilize indigenous private sector institutions under a single body for the sustainability of the private sector drive to support the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector in Nigeria.
- To generate commitment from private bodies to support the nation-wide Clean Nigeria campaign.
- To stimulate private sector initiatives towards eradicating open defecation in Nigeria by 2025.
- To create a central body under which multi-stakeholder innovations geared toward the betterment of WASH services are cultivated.
Summary of Proceedings
Several facilitators made PowerPoint presentations during the Forum. Some of the key presentations were:
- Towards an Open Defecation Free Nigeria using local solutions – UNICEF
- Documentary- Federal Ministry of Water Resources
- Overview of “Clean Nigeria: Use the Toilet” campaign- Clean Nigeria secretariat
- From Waste to Wealth- Zenith Water Project & E- WASH (USAID)
- The role of Academia in ending Open Defecation in Nigeria- Vice Chancellor, Fountain University, Oshogbo
- National ODF Campaign Communications Plan- UNICEF & Federal Ministry of Water Resources Marketplace: innovation showcase and Networking